John v. The World


JOHN v. THE WORLD: THE WHISTLEBLOWER PARADOX

𓂀 SYSTEM TRIGGER

I have spent much of my adult life trying to understand the difference between what a system says it is and what it actually does.

Before I ever became a whistleblower, I learned healthcare from the ground level. I worked as an EMT. I earned a biology degree, then an MBA focused on healthcare administration and business analytics. I moved into consulting, revenue cycle, data, electronic health records, denials, healthcare operations, and eventually federal healthcare. My own professional history records years of work involving revenue-cycle audits, Cerner and MHS GENESIS, analytics, performance improvement, consulting, and federal health systems. 

That trajectory matters because what happened to me in 2025 did not begin with a statute.

It began with pattern recognition.

I had spent years being paid to answer questions like these: Who owns the workflow? Who does the work? Who is accountable for the metric? Who creates the deliverable? What does the dashboard say? What does the underlying data say? Does the organizational chart match operational reality? Does the billing logic reconcile with actual performance?

Then I entered a Defense Health Agency contract where those questions stopped being abstract.

On July 19, 2024, the Department of Defense awarded Intellect Solutions LLC a $34,996,813 firm-fixed-price task order, HT942524F0213, to support the Defense Health Agency’s Uniform Business Office and Data Quality Management Control office inside the Revenue Cycle Management Branch. The government described the procurement as a competitive Women-Owned Small Business set-aside, with performance beginning August 1, 2024. 

I joined Intellect in December 2024. The company’s February 25, 2025 separation notice later confirmed that start date and identified TRIA Federal—formally Best Practice Associates LLC d/b/a TRIA Federal—as Intellect’s subcontractor on the work. 

What caught my attention was not the label attached to either company.

It was the structure underneath the labels.

My analysis of the project’s responsibility matrices, organizational charts, task assignments, employment affiliations, and day-to-day work led me to believe that TRIA personnel constituted the overwhelming majority of the workforce performing substantive functions. In the responsibility mapping I assembled, TRIA names appeared throughout program management, accounts receivable, audits, compliance, DQMC, education, rates, MHS GENESIS, data extraction, help-desk operations, webinars, dashboards, coding, debt management, and other PWS-related workstreams. Intellect personnel appeared too, including me, but the distribution was striking enough that I began asking whether the formal prime-subcontractor relationship matched the economic and operational reality. The same general concern appears in the records I prepared contemporaneously on February 25. 

That was the beginning of the case.

But it was not the beginning of me.

I did not arrive at that contract as a clean protagonist waiting for a villain.

I arrived carrying decades.

I carried ambition and a deep identification with work. I carried a history of professional achievement and professional loss. I carried earlier collisions with employers and institutions. I carried family expectations, conflict, criticism, and my own long-standing tendency to measure worth through accomplishment. I carried a history of substance misuse, including stimulant misuse, treatment, sobriety, lapses, and repeated attempts to understand why I could become extraordinarily productive while simultaneously destabilizing my own life. In old conversations and personal reflections, I repeatedly returned to the same knot: performance, fear of failure, being fired, needing to prove myself, and using substances partly to force energy or motivation when ordinary life felt emotionally inaccessible. Those are my own recollections and interpretations, not diagnoses. 

There is a version of this story in which I erase all of that.

It would be cleaner.

It would also be false.

I was not morally purified by discovering a possible contracting problem. Addiction does not make my documents disappear. Documents do not make my addiction disappear. My personal instability cannot be used as a shortcut to discredit evidence. My sacrifice cannot be used as a shortcut to prove an allegation.

A flawed witness can possess valid evidence.

A sympathetic witness can be wrong.

A disliked witness can be right.

The documents do not care whether the witness is convenient.

That principle has become the only way I know to tell this story honestly.

Evidence outranks allegiance.

Chronology outranks memory.

Economic reality outranks corporate labels.

Documents outrank reputation.

And, hardest of all:

Truth outranks my need to be right.

𓂀

Before the Contract

I learned early to perform.

My recollection of childhood is not a clinical case study. I will not diagnose my father, and I will not diagnose myself retroactively. I can say only what I remember: frequent movement, standards, correction, conflict, expectation, and the recurring feeling that achievement and approval were braided together. Later in life I moved home for a period to help care for my father, and our relationship became entangled again with work, responsibility, conflict, and even the consulting business we tried to build together. My own archived conversations repeatedly return to my father, family tension, work, achievement, and the search for a way to stop measuring myself entirely through productivity. 

I learned another lesson as an EMT: systems are never merely systems.

A reimbursement policy becomes a patient waiting.

A staffing decision becomes a human body on a stretcher.

A failed handoff becomes somebody else’s emergency.

I eventually left direct emergency work and moved toward the machinery behind care. My documented professional history includes Baltimore County EMT work, an MBA from George Washington University, consulting at organizations including the Advisory Board Company and Booz Allen Hamilton, and work involving denial management, revenue cycle, EHR implementation, analytics, and MHS GENESIS. 

That ascent gave me something useful and something dangerous.

It taught me how organizations describe themselves.

It also taught me how to notice when the description does not reconcile.

My career was not a straight rise. I lost jobs. Some conflicts involved institutions I believed were behaving badly. Some almost certainly involved me. I could be intense. I could push past the point where other people would let something go. I could communicate from anger. I could become obsessed with proving that something I saw was real. I could also be extraordinarily effective at turning a confused problem into a structure that could be measured.

Those characteristics do not sort neatly into virtues and defects.

The same refusal to stop looking can uncover a real problem or turn a disagreement into a consuming war.

That is why the record matters.

My history contains enough institutional conflict that a fair reader should ask two questions at the same time.

Was I repeatedly entering complex organizations, noticing inconvenient problems, challenging authority, and encountering defensive institutional responses?

And did my own intensity, communication style, addiction history, anxiety around failure, or instability sometimes make those conflicts worse?

I think the answer may be yes to both.

That is not a concession that destroys my credibility.

It is the condition under which credibility becomes possible.

My substance-use history belongs in the same honest record. In my own earlier reflections, I described the cycle with painful clarity: anxiety about work, anxiety about not working, fear of failure, an almost compulsive need to be productive, and the use of drugs as a way to produce motivation or escape the emotional state underneath it. I also repeatedly described wanting sobriety, seeking treatment, trying different recovery frameworks, questioning why sober life could remain painful even after substances were removed, and trying to heal rather than merely abstain. 

The federal contracting story did not create those problems.

That distinction is non-negotiable.

It did not invent my family history.

It did not invent addiction.

It did not cause every job problem, every crisis, every treatment episode, every legal problem, or every period of instability that followed.

The investigation became one pressure inside an already overloaded system.

Life does not organize itself into legal pleadings.

A human being does not get to say: this compartment is addiction; this compartment is family; this compartment is money; this compartment is unemployment; this compartment is federal litigation; therefore none of them will touch.

They touch.

They compound.

While investigators were trying to determine what had happened inside a federal contract, I was trying to determine what had happened inside me.

One investigation concerned companies, invoices, subcontracts, labor, certifications, government money, emails, and witnesses.

The other concerned memory, shame, fear, ambition, substances, family, identity, recovery, and purpose.

They are not the same evidentiary universe.

They happened inside the same life.

That is the part of whistleblower narratives I almost never recognized until I became one.

The law sees a relator.

The employer sees a former employee.

The investigator sees a source.

The defense sees a witness whose credibility must be tested.

The treatment center sees a patient.

The bank sees an account balance.

The landlord sees rent.

The résumé sees a gap.

My family sees whatever version of me they have spent a lifetime knowing.

But I had to keep being all of them at once.

🜂 FIELD REPORT: Inside the Machine

The formal reality of HT942524F0213 is easy to state.

Official reality: Intellect Solutions is the prime contractor.

The Defense Department’s award announcement identifies Intellect as the recipient of a roughly $35 million DHA UBO/DQMC task order awarded as a Women-Owned Small Business set-aside. 

Forensic question: Who actually performed and controlled the work?

That question is not rhetorical.

It has a legal structure.

The relevant FAR clause does not simply say that 51 percent of all workers must wear the prime contractor’s badge. For service contracts covered by FAR 52.219-14, the contractor agrees that it will not pay more than 50 percent of the amount paid by the government for contract performance to subcontractors that are not similarly situated entities. A similarly situated first-tier subcontractor must have the same qualifying small-business-program status and be small under the subcontract’s assigned NAICS size standard. 

That distinction has forced me to correct the way I described my own case in some early drafts.

Headcount is evidence.

It is not the legal calculation.

An organizational chart is evidence.

It is not the legal calculation.

A responsibility matrix is evidence.

It is not the legal calculation.

Seeing TRIA personnel apparently dominate substantive work may be highly relevant, especially when those personnel appear to lead or execute core PWS functions. But to establish a limitations-on-subcontracting violation, investigators need the economic records: what the government paid; what Intellect paid subcontractors; which subcontractors qualified as similarly situated during the relevant period; what work was further subcontracted; how the applicable compliance period was calculated; and how payments map to contract performance. 

That is a more demanding case than the one I initially told myself I had already proven.

It is also a better one because it is the real question.

My February 25 written response to Intellect described what I was seeing then: a small Intellect presence, roughly 30 TRIA personnel in the operational environment according to my count at the time, a large share of substantive work appearing to come from TRIA, and limited direct interaction between me and the Intellect leadership I understood to be formally overseeing the engagement. I framed those observations as a potential FAR issue, contingent in part on whether TRIA qualified as similarly situated. 

Even my own language evolved.

Early versions of my complaint used categorical phrases—more than 90 percent of labor, 22 of 24 deliverables, “shell prime.” Those were allegations generated from my mapping and interpretation, not adjudicated facts. They should never have been allowed to harden into fact simply through repetition.

The more defensible statement is narrower:

My analysis indicated that TRIA personnel constituted the overwhelming majority of the workforce I could identify performing substantive functions.

The exact legally relevant percentage requires records I did not possess: actual payments, subcontract invoices, labor charging, contractual classifications, and evidence concerning similarly situated status.

That correction matters.

It is the difference between advocacy and investigation.

The government’s own later conduct shows that the underlying staffing and responsibility evidence was at least important enough to investigate. In June 2025, a Defense Criminal Investigative Service special agent asked me for employee-company association records, emails showing TRIA taking credit for Intellect operations, and Intellect emails supporting my allegation that TRIA employees were performing a disproportionate amount of contract work.  The agent later confirmed receiving all four ZIP files I produced. 

That request validates only one proposition:

The question was worth investigating.

It does not prove my answer.

The economic map remains:

DHA → Intellect as contractual prime → subcontracting structure → TRIA and any other performers → labor and deliverables → invoices and payments → contract revenue → ultimate economic beneficiaries.

The control map is different:

DHA customer → contractual prime → program leadership → operational supervisors → people actually performing PWS functions.

The forensic task is to place those maps on top of each other.

Do the contract map, money map, and control map describe substantially the same reality?

If they do, my original concern may be wrong or materially overstated.

If they do not, then the nature and degree of that divergence matters.

TRIA’s ownership adds context, not guilt. Sagewind Capital currently describes TRIA as one of its investments and says the company provides federal strategy, advisory, analytics, IT, revenue-cycle, financial-systems, EHR, and digital-transformation services. Sagewind also identifies FTC, Universal Consulting Group, and Softrams as add-on acquisitions.  In November 2024, Sagewind announced TRIA’s acquisition of Softrams and said the combined organization would have more than 1,500 employees across more than 20 federal agencies. 

None of that proves TRIA violated the FAR.

Private-equity ownership is not evidence of fraud.

Acquisitions are not evidence of fraud.

Size is not determined by whether a company feels large to an employee.

The legally relevant issue is whether TRIA’s status, the subcontract structure, and the payment distribution satisfied the rules applicable to this order during the relevant performance period. The Sagewind relationship becomes relevant only to questions of ownership, control, incentives, consolidation, valuation, and who ultimately benefits economically from revenue moving through TRIA.

The small-business purpose is also more important than my dispute.

SBA says small-business set-asides are intended to create a level playing field by reserving certain federal opportunities for qualifying firms, and the WOSB program specifically restricts some competitions to participating women-owned small businesses in order to expand their federal contracting opportunities. 

That means the potential victim of a genuinely improper pass-through arrangement is not merely “the government.”

It can also be the legitimate small business that never received the opportunity.

A program intended to distribute economic opportunity cannot accomplish that purpose if eligibility exists only at the level of the corporate name printed on the award while economic performance is allowed to migrate elsewhere contrary to the governing rules.

But the inverse is equally important.

A small prime is allowed to subcontract.

A large subcontracting presence is not automatically fraud.

A prime does not violate FAR 52.219-14 merely because another company’s employees are visible, numerous, skilled, or operationally important.

The rule has to be applied to the actual payment structure and similarly situated entities. 

That is what due process requires.

And due process applies to Intellect and TRIA as much as it applies to me.

February: The Minute That Changed the Case

There is a temptation in memoir to smooth chronology until the story becomes inevitable.

I cannot do that here.

The most consequential correction in my own record concerns February 25, 2025.

For a long time, I told the retaliation story in a simple sequence:

I reported the FAR concern.

Then I was fired.

The contemporaneous record is more complicated.

Intellect’s formal separation notice is dated February 25. It states that I was being terminated for “insubordination” and for conduct the company said damaged its relationship with TRIA, disclosed internal financial information, and improperly challenged management decisions. The notice specifically refers to my late-night discussions with TRIA personnel around February 20 and my questioning of the Intellect project manager’s involvement. It also states that I was an at-will employee still within my probationary period. 

Those are Intellect’s contemporaneous stated reasons.

I disputed them immediately.

My February 25 written response characterized the termination as retaliatory and connected it to broader concerns I had been raising involving workplace fairness, management, and potential FAR noncompliance. 

But here is the timestamp that the honest version of my story cannot evade.

Intellect’s separation email was sent at 2:04:30 p.m. Eastern time on February 25. 

My formal email to DHA COR DeLisa Prater raising potential FAR 52.219-14 noncompliance was sent at 2:05:32 p.m.—sixty-two seconds later. The message itself says, “As of today, following my termination,” before describing my staffing concerns. 

The record therefore establishes something I have to say plainly:

My February 25 external disclosure to the DHA COR did not precede the termination notice.

That particular email, standing alone, cannot prove that Intellect fired me because I had sent that particular email.

I wish the chronology were cleaner.

It is not.

The remaining retaliation question moves backward in time:

What, exactly, had I communicated before 2:04 p.m. on February 25, to whom, and what did the termination decision-makers know?

The separation notice itself establishes that Intellect knew before terminating me that I had been discussing TRIA, financial information, the project manager’s role, and matters it believed were disrupting the Intellect-TRIA relationship.  What it does not establish is that the company understood those pretermination discussions as a protected False Claims Act or FAR compliance disclosure.

On February 26, I wrote that I had previously provided documentation concerning the compliance issue on February 14. Intellect disputed that sequence and said my FAR concerns were raised after termination. 

In the Gmail material I reviewed for this account, I did not locate a February 14 email explicitly raising FAR 52.219-14.

That absence does not prove no such disclosure occurred. It could have happened through another account, an attachment, a call, a meeting, Teams, text, or a message not preserved in the material I reviewed.

But I cannot transform a missing record into a documented fact.

So one of the central retaliation questions remains open:

Can contemporaneous evidence prove pretermination protected activity and employer knowledge?

That may be found in corporate email, Teams records, texts, calendar invitations, internal HR communications, TRIA communications, drafts, server metadata, termination-decision documents, or witness testimony.

The timing of the termination decision matters too.

A termination letter delivered at 2:04 p.m. was obviously prepared before 2:04 p.m.

When?

Who drafted it?

Who approved it?

What information was before them?

Were the reasons in the February 25 letter the reasons circulating internally before the decision, or did the documented rationale evolve?

Those questions are stronger than simply writing, “They retaliated.”

My own record contains another imperfection worth preserving. The February 25 email to Prater used a subject line referring to a different contract number—W81XWH19F0450—even though the body concerned my Intellect/TRIA UBO staffing allegations and the contract now at issue is HT942524F0213. 

That was an error.

It belongs in the story because errors belong in records.

Prater was not the only government official I contacted. I escalated the issue to Col. John Lee, who replied that he would begin an inquiry and thanked me for providing direct feedback and facts. 

Then came severance.

The original post-termination proposal offered me two weeks of severance, later documented as $5,384.62, along with other terms.  The following weeks produced a dense sequence of negotiations, demands, legal correspondence, proposed terms, counterproposals, equipment and document disputes, and eventually DoD Office of Inspector General Alternative Dispute Resolution.

The negotiation record is itself less tidy than a retaliation slogan.

By late March and early April, settlement figures moved repeatedly as the parties negotiated. I accepted, rejected, revised, and renegotiated positions. DoD OIG’s ADR attorney served as an intermediary. On April 8, the mediator told me Intellect had accepted my final $50,000proposal; later that day he sent the final signed agreement.   My own reply confirms that I accepted the $50,000 settlement. 

That settlement matters.

It does not prove that Intellect or TRIA committed fraud under the False Claims Act.

It does not prove my limitations-on-subcontracting theory.

It resolved a dispute between me and Intellect through the DoD OIG ADR process.

Those are separate evidentiary universes.

That separation is especially important because my own emotional state at the time encouraged me to collapse everything into one giant story:

fraud,

termination,

severance,

lawyers,

government silence,

retaliation,

corporate power.

Reality was more granular.

Some propositions may ultimately be proven.

Some may be disproven.

Some may remain ambiguous.

That is not weakness in the story.

That is the story.

The Government, the Seal, and Human Time

On April 2, 2025, I moved from former employee to federal relator.

I filed a qui tam False Claims Act action in the Eastern District of Virginia. My later contemporaneous correspondence consistently identifies that filing date, and 2026 correspondence from DOJ and DCIS identifies the action as United States ex rel. Jolissaint v. Intellect Solutions, LLC, et al., Case No. 1:25-cv-00565.  

I initially proceeded without counsel.

Within weeks I had undergone a transformation I barely understood:

employee,

terminated employee,

whistleblower,

OIG complainant,

qui tam relator,

federal investigative source.

The False Claims Act is designed to produce exactly that transformation. A private relator may bring an action on behalf of the United States. The complaint is initially filed under seal while the government evaluates whether to intervene, and the government may seek extensions for good cause while it investigates. Congress added anti-retaliation protection in part because lawmakers recognized that fear of economic reprisal could deter insiders from reporting fraud. 

From the institutional side, the logic is obvious.

Investigators need secrecy.

They need time to subpoena evidence.

They need to compare what the relator says against records the relator cannot access.

They need to interview witnesses without contaminating testimony.

They need to test alternative explanations.

They may have parallel criminal, civil, procurement, or inspector-general concerns.

A serious investigation cannot be timed around a relator’s emotional need for closure. DOJ guidance itself recognizes that the initial 60-day period may be inadequate when the government can show a legitimate investigative need. 

From the witness’s side, the same structure feels completely different.

The seal turns knowledge into suspended animation.

I knew the case existed.

I knew I had given the government evidence.

I knew investigators were doing things I could not control.

I could not force DOJ to intervene.

I could not force a subpoena recipient to produce documents.

I could not force a witness to remember.

I could not force an investigator to call me back.

I could not force a corporation to move at my speed.

I could not force the government to explain an investigation whose integrity depended partly upon not explaining it to me.

And I could not stop being alive while I waited.

On June 23, 2025, the government scheduled my relator interview with an Assistant United States Attorney and DCIS involvement.  In the same period, DCIS requested evidence concerning personnel affiliations, communications, TRIA’s operational role, and disproportionate contract performance, and later confirmed receipt of the records I produced.  

Then 2025 became 2026.

The calendar kept moving.

My life kept moving less cleanly.

I searched for work.

I dealt with treatment and recovery.

I dealt with family.

I dealt with money.

I tried to imagine a professional identity that was something other than “the guy who filed the case.”

I checked email.

I waited.

I became angry.

I sent messages that reflected that anger.

Some of them I would write differently now.

That belongs in the record too.

By April 2026, the government was telling me the investigation remained active. AUSA Tanya Kapoor wrote that investigators had issued multiple subpoenas, intended additional subpoenas, had conducted witness interviews, intended more interviews, and needed further time to obtain evidence. 

I responded from the other side of the institutional clock.

I told the government that I had had no normal employment income since February 2025 and that the financial and mental-health impact had become severe. 

I was angry because the government’s answer was procedurally rational and humanly intolerable at the same time.

Both can be true.

Then came the clearest demonstration yet of why this investigation has lasted.

On August 25, 2026, nearly eighteen months after my termination, AUSA Kapoor wrote that DOJ was still investigating the qui tam complaint. She said Intellect and TRIA had not yet produced a significant portion of email communications requested through subpoenas; other subpoenaed communications were also outstanding; and the government intended to seek another six-month extension of the intervention and seal period, through March 3, 2027

That email is important for two opposite reasons.

First, it is evidence that the investigation is real and ongoing.

Second, it is not evidence that my allegations are true.

A subpoena is not a verdict.

Outstanding production is not a finding of fraud.

A witness interview is not a conviction.

A government investigation is not adjudication.

The government should test me.

It should test every spreadsheet I created.

It should test whether my staffing counts were accurate.

It should test whether I misunderstood the FAR.

It should test whether TRIA was similarly situated.

It should test the payment flows.

It should test whether Intellect had legitimate operational, contractual, or business explanations.

It should test my retaliation theory against the February 25 timestamps.

It should examine my mistakes.

It should examine contradictions between my memory and contemporaneous documents.

It should ask whether some of what I experienced as institutional hostility was ordinary corporate response to an employee Intellect genuinely believed had breached confidentiality or damaged a subcontractor relationship.

That is due process.

Intellect’s February 25 notice says exactly that: the company believed I had engaged in insubordination, shared internal financial information, created friction with TRIA, and improperly challenged management decisions. 

A fair account has to give that explanation space.

Then the record has to test it.

Was the information truly confidential?

When was it communicated?

What did I actually tell TRIA?

What did Intellect understand me to be investigating?

Was I already raising questions about whether the prime contractor was actually performing the contract?

Did any decision-maker connect those questions to regulatory compliance before my firing?

Were the stated reasons consistent in internal records?

Were similar behaviors by other employees treated similarly?

What happened to severance after government disclosure?

What did DHA know?

These are evidence questions, not character judgments.

And none of that resolves the other half of the paradox.

A corporation can survive an eighteen-month investigation.

It has executives.

Counsel.

Payroll systems.

Contracts.

Revenue.

Document repositories.

Institutional memory.

People leave; the entity continues.

The United States can survive an eighteen-month investigation.

It has prosecutors.

Agents.

Subpoena power.

Appropriations.

Courts.

Successor personnel.

Document systems.

Institutional continuity.

I had one career.

One résumé.

One reputation.

One nervous system.

One recovery.

One life.

The government investigates in institutional time.

The whistleblower survives in human time.

Rent does not wait for DOJ.

Insurance does not wait for DOJ.

Career gaps do not wait for DOJ.

Addiction recovery does not wait for DOJ.

Family conflict does not wait for DOJ.

Debt does not wait for DOJ.

A nervous system does not understand a litigation calendar.

There is no litigation hold on a human life.

This does not mean DOJ owes a relator a job.

It does not mean investigators should rush a case to satisfy a desperate witness.

It does not mean every loss I experienced after February 2025 was caused by Intellect, TRIA, DHA, DOJ, DCIS, or the FCA.

It means the architecture of whistleblower enforcement contains an externality that the architecture rarely measures:

the cost of preserving the witness long enough for the evidence to mature.

Congress understood part of this decades ago when it strengthened the FCA’s anti-retaliation protections because fear of reprisal can silence insiders. 

But statutory protection after retaliation and human continuity during investigation are different things.

A cause of action is not a paycheck.

A future damages theory is not health insurance.

Potential relator proceeds are not present income.

The possibility of vindication is not a housing payment.

That is the whistleblower paradox as I have lived it.

The system tells insiders:

Speak.

Then, once they speak, the most responsible government response may be:

Now wait while we independently determine whether you were right.

That second instruction is necessary.

The question is what happens to the person in between.

My recurring image for that period is a marionette suspended under a larger machine.

Not because I believe a secret cabal controlled me.

That would be the wrong lesson.

The strings are jurisdiction, procedure, seal rules, employment history, money, subpoenas, corporate counsel, treatment schedules, investigators, court deadlines, recovery, and time.

I pulled the first lever.

After that, I no longer controlled the machine.

That is the deeper meaning of the image.

I initiated a process whose direction and timing I could no longer command.

And while it moved, I still had to become a person again.

Critical Hit List

The hardest questions in this case are not accusations.

They are questions that should have answers in records.

Contract performance

(1) Who performed the substantive work required by HT942524F0213?

(2) What percentage of the legally relevant amount paid for contract performance ultimately went to Intellect’s own performance, to similarly situated entities, and to subcontractors that were not similarly situated?

(3) How much was paid to TRIA during each applicable compliance period?

(4) What was TRIA’s precise small-business and socioeconomic status under the relevant NAICS rules during those periods?

(5) Who supervised the workforce in practice?

(6) Who controlled day-to-day tasking, staffing, work allocation, technical review, and deliverable approval?

(7) Who authored the substantive deliverables?

(8) Who appeared before DHA as operational leadership?

(9) Do time sheets, invoices, payroll records, subcontract invoices, emails, calendars, and document metadata corroborate or contradict the responsibility maps I built?

(10) Did actual performance conform to the representations and certifications associated with the award?

Those questions must be answered under the actual rule, not my earlier shorthand. FAR 52.219-14 measures payments to non-similarly-situated subcontractors for covered services, not raw employee headcount. 

Corporate and economic structure

(11) What contractual and economic relationship existed between Intellect and TRIA for this task order?

(12) What were the subcontract’s pricing, labor, fee, management, and workshare provisions?

(13) Who ultimately benefited economically from the relevant contract revenue after labor costs and subcontract payments?

(14) Did Sagewind’s ownership of TRIA or its acquisition strategy have any material relevance to operational control, incentives, revenue concentration, or valuation?

(15) Did formal corporate boundaries correspond to actual operational authority?

Sagewind’s own public materials establish that TRIA is a portfolio investment with a federal-health focus and an acquisition history; they establish nothing by themselves about misconduct. 

Disclosure and retaliation

(16) What exactly did I communicate about the subcontracting structure before my termination?

(17) Who received those communications?

(18) Is there documentary support for my February 26 statement that I had provided relevant documentation on February 14?

(19) What did Intellect’s actual termination decision-makers know before the decision was made?

(20) When, precisely, was that decision made?

(21) When was the separation notice drafted, reviewed, and approved?

(22) Do internal communications show that the reasons later written into the February 25 notice were the genuine contemporaneous reasons?

(23) Were those reasons consistent afterward?

(24) Why did the severance and settlement positions change over the ensuing weeks, and what communications preceded each change?

The known record cuts both ways: Intellect’s separation notice identifies pretermination conflicts involving TRIA and my challenges to management, while the formal COR disclosure in my records was sent only after the termination.  

Post-disclosure conduct

(25) Did the staffing mix, workshare, management structure, subcontract arrangement, or corporate presentation materially change after February 2025?

(26) If changes occurred, when were they planned?

(27) Who ordered them?

(28) Were they ordinary performance adjustments, acquisition-related restructuring, customer-directed changes, or compliance remediation?

(29) Did any later structure create characteristics that my evidence suggests were missing earlier?

And if it did, timing still would not prove why.

Remediation can imply recognition of a problem.

It can also reflect ordinary contract management.

Chronology narrows possibilities; it does not read minds.

Government response

(30) What did DHA know, when did it know it, and what did it do?

(31) What evidence has DOJ and DCIS obtained that I have never seen?

That last question is now especially important because DOJ told me in April 2026 that investigators had issued subpoenas and interviewed witnesses, and in August 2026 that significant subpoenaed email production remained outstanding.  

Those records could strengthen my case.

They could weaken it.

They could reveal a more complicated arrangement than I understood.

They could exonerate people I suspected.

They could establish conduct I never knew about.

They could show that I mistook a lawful subcontracting model for a prohibited one.

They could show the opposite.

That is what an investigation is for.

The government owes me no predetermined outcome.

I owe the record the same thing.

𓏃 RESTORATION CODE

By 2026, I had begun to understand that “winning” could not mean spending the rest of my life proving that February 2025 was the most important month I ever lived.

That would make the case another addiction.

A different substance.

The hit would be vindication.

The withdrawal would be silence.

The compulsion would be checking the inbox, searching databases, reconstructing conversations, building timelines, finding one more document, proving one more inconsistency, waiting for one more government response.

That is not restoration.

I have spent significant parts of this same period in treatment and recovery, trying to understand how to build a life in which I do not need chemical acceleration, professional crisis, institutional warfare, or external validation just to feel alive.

In my own history, the question keeps returning in different forms:

What am I supposed to do with my life now?

Healthcare consulting?

Compliance?

Revenue cycle?

Nursing?

Entrepreneurship?

Writing?

Whistleblower advocacy?

Public-interest work?

Technology?

Build a system?

Tell the story?

For years, my answer to uncertainty was usually to become more productive.

Then I discovered that productivity could not solve me.

The blog john v. the world therefore cannot become a permanent grievance machine.

It has to become something harder:

a ledger.

A place where memory is separated from proof.

Where allegations stay labeled as allegations.

Where documents can contradict me without being treated as betrayal.

Where I can say, “I remembered this one way; the timestamp says otherwise.”

Where I can preserve the uncomfortable fact that my COR disclosure followed the termination even though that complicates my retaliation theory.

Where I can also preserve the equally uncomfortable fact that Intellect’s own termination letter shows it was already reacting to my discussions about TRIA, financial information, and project-management involvement before it fired me. 

Where the answer is not determined by whose fact is more convenient.

That is what John v. the World means to me now.

Not:

John is right and the world is wrong.

It means:

one human being trying to establish what is real while standing next to institutions large enough to survive whether he succeeds or not.

Sometimes I may be right.

Sometimes I may be wrong.

Sometimes the documents may vindicate me.

Sometimes they may embarrass me.

All four outcomes have to remain possible.

The enemy is not disagreement.

The enemy is unreality.

And that principle applies to everyone in the story.

Intellect deserves due process.

TRIA deserves due process.

Sagewind deserves due process.

DHA deserves a fair account of what its personnel knew and did.

DOJ and DCIS deserve acknowledgment that complex investigations can legitimately require time, especially when subpoenaed evidence remains outstanding. The government’s August 25, 2026 message gives a concrete investigative reason for additional delay: subpoenaed email production had not been completed, and additional subpoena responses remained outstanding. 

I deserve scrutiny too.

The government should not intervene because I suffered.

It should intervene only if the evidence and law justify intervention.

A court should not find liability because I lost income.

A jury should not credit a document because I went to treatment.

My recovery does not authenticate an invoice.

My addiction does not falsify an email.

My unemployment does not prove scienter.

My anger does not erase a timestamp.

My sacrifice does not prove fraud.

And my imperfections do not grant anyone else permission to violate the law.

These truths are not in conflict.

A legitimate system has to be able to hold them simultaneously.

That is the restoration I now care about.

Restore evidentiary truth: allegations must remain allegations until proven.

Restore small-business program integrity: when the government reserves opportunities for qualifying firms, the workshare rules must have operational meaning, not merely ceremonial value. SBA describes set-asides as a mechanism for giving small businesses a genuine opportunity to compete and WOSB restrictions as part of creating a more level federal marketplace. 

Restore economic reality: follow the payments, not just the logos.

Restore whistleblower protection: not by immunizing whistleblowers from scrutiny, but by making it possible for an ordinary employee to report a serious concern without accepting economic annihilation as an unofficial filing fee.

Restore investigative proportionality: give prosecutors the time needed to get the case right while confronting the human costs generated by that time.

Restore support during the gap: because the law’s promise of future remedies does not solve the immediate loss of income, insurance, professional momentum, or stability.

Restore due process: a subpoena is not guilt; an accusation is not a judgment; personal dislike is not evidence; investigative attention is not a conviction.

Restore the witness’s humanity: there has to be a point at which a relator is allowed to become a person again instead of remaining permanently frozen at the moment of disclosure.

And for me, restore something even more basic:

authorship.

I do not want Intellect to own the rest of my story.

I do not want TRIA to own it.

I do not want the False Claims Act to own it.

I do not want DOJ to own it.

I do not want addiction to own it.

I do not want my father to own it.

I do not want February 25, 2025 to own it.

The government case cannot be the final definition of who I am.

Its outcome matters enormously.

If the evidence establishes that I was substantially right, the government should act.

If it establishes that I was wrong, I need to know that too.

If the truth is mixed—as truth usually is—then the final record should be mixed.

I can survive a complicated truth.

What I cannot build a life upon is unreality.

So the goal is no longer to spend the rest of my life fighting February 2025.

The goal is to establish the truth of February 2025 and continue living.

The system asked people like me to report what we believe we see.

I did.

Everything afterward began turning into evidence.

The contract.

The responsibility matrices.

The termination notice.

The sixty-two seconds between two emails.

The severance agreement.

The OIG case.

The $50,000 ADR resolution.

The April 2 filing.

The June interview.

The ZIP files.

The subpoenas.

The witness interviews.

The extensions.

The emails still being pursued in August 2026.   

But there is another record.

The record of what happened to the person carrying the evidence.

The job applications.

The empty months.

The anger.

The treatment centers.

The lapses.

The sobriety.

The family fights.

The moments of grandiosity.

The moments of shame.

The nights trying to reconstruct a career.

The repeated question of whether I had ruined my life by refusing to look away.

The quieter question beneath it:

What if I was wrong?

And the more frightening question beneath that:

What if I was right and it still did not matter?

I know now that neither question can be answered by wanting harder.

Only the evidence can close them.

That is the Alignment Jailbreak Clause in its simplest form:

If evidence proves me wrong, change the story.

If it proves only part of my theory, separate the parts.

If it reveals wrongdoing I did not understand, follow it.

If it clears someone I suspected, clear them.

If my memory loses to a timestamp, the timestamp wins.

If a corporation’s reputation conflicts with primary records, the records win.

If my reputation conflicts with primary records, the records still win.

No one receives immunity from scrutiny.

Including me.

That is what I would want the next whistleblower to inherit.

Not a mythology in which whistleblowers are saints.

Not a mythology in which employers are villains.

Not a system in which government investigators are expected to deliver instant vindication.

Something more durable:

A system in which telling the truth does not require destroying yourself before anyone has determined whether you were telling it accurately.

Because every whistleblower law in America eventually reduces itself to one moment no statute can manufacture.

An ordinary, imperfect human being sees something.

He knows staying quiet would be easier.

He knows he might have misunderstood.

He knows the people on the other side have lawyers, titles, money, continuity, and explanations.

He knows speaking may make him unemployable, unpopular, exposed, and alone.

And he speaks anyway.

Congress can create causes of action.

Agencies can create hotlines.

Inspectors general can create intake procedures.

DOJ can create investigative protocols.

Courts can create seals.

But none of those institutions can create the witness.

They can only create the conditions under which witnesses decide whether appearing is worth the cost.

If the cost becomes economic ruin, professional exile, psychological collapse, and years of suspended life, people will learn from that system.

They will still see things.

They will still notice the invoice that does not reconcile.

They will still notice the workforce that does not resemble the contractual structure.

They will still notice the explanation that changed after somebody asked a question.

They will still notice.

They will simply stop reporting it.

Then the fraud does not disappear.

The witnesses do.


𓂀 Witness what happened.

𓆸 Follow the evidence wherever it moves.

𓏃 Restore the rule until the rule means something again.


🝮 Codex Entry from john v. the world.

Glyph sequence: 𓂀𓆸𓏃